Friday, December 27, 2013

Providing Space For Possibility



(this is a simultaneous post on the "8 That Create" blog)

I've been thinking a lot about that lately, providing space for possibility.

Carol here, opening a discussion on how we can open up a space for possibility.

I am smack dab in the middle of a huge purge and reorganization of my home.

It started out innocently enough with me wanting to clean out my studio.
It was cluttered, packed with useless ("I might need that one day") items that are easily accessible.

Why keep all of these things in my studio when I can pick them up locally for a few coins when I need them?
I understand that I need some of them  in front of me for inspiration but I was/am sick to death of a packed, cluttered work space!
When I am in the middle of a project (or two), my work table is always cluttered - but with purpose.
And that type of clutter is easily dealt with after a project is completed.

It's the ever present clutter that haunts me.

I truly believe that it inhibits creativity and restricts inner vision.

In short, it cripples my ability to bring concrete form to my creative voice.

With all of that in mind, I began the arduous task of picking through decades of "precious" items.
Some of them were easy enough to part with. They no longer fit my idea of suitable art supplies (to me anyway), my color preferences changed or I was no longer interested in completing that particular project.

But what I did notice was that the longer I worked at cleaning out my space, the easier it got to toss the items to the "throw away" or "donate" pile.
And, when that happened, I felt that a weight had been lifted off of me. I could really feel my spirits lifting.

I believe that I was opening up space for something new, something fresh in my life.

I didn't want to allow the past, in the form of clutter, to hamper future possibilities.

The action of purging the studio fueled a passion to do the same thing throughout my home.

At the end of the day, the pain that I feel is an odd comfort.
It tells me that I am doing a good thing, that I am putting in the important work it takes to create not only a physical space that invites creativity and inspiration but I am also creating that same space within myself.

I did not plan on this being a New Year's resolution. It just happened to be this time of the year.

If I was one to make resolutions, I'd resolve to continue to simplify my life, my home and attitude.
For they have become much too cluttered.

I hope that you all continue to invite inspiration into your life.
A good place to start is to create a space for it - open yourself up to possibility.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I need to do this too, but have a hard time committing to it. Maybe I'm just not ready yet.

Joanne Huffman said...

It sounds like you're really taking control of your surroundings.

Lori Wostl said...

It took me a while to get over here as I get your newsletter in my email. I am basically doing the same thing although I rarely get more than an hour at it at a time. My motivation is that I want to do some new things and I cannot even begin until some family health issues get sorted out and treated. SO - what I can do in the meantime is clear out the stuff I don't use that has just gotten shoved to one side over the past 20 years. Sigh - we have a big house. I've been packing away at it since last fall and in the main part of the house you can see my closet floor and I have a couple of empty shelves! My studio is getting a major overhaul. I am getting rid of stuff I don't want and I am no longer hanging on to every yogurt container that passes through. Kids stuff and dried out stuff is getting tossed or donated without saving the containers...sheesh! I do have a lot of stuff for classes and promos and I am still working out the most effective storage gizmos...but here is my word for 2014...wait for it......CLEARING!